Wednesday, March 7, 2012

C4T #2

science His latest post was about his excitement about teaching chemistry. His school does not offer mandatory curriculum therefore he is free to experiment. He is teaching his students from the Operation Primary Physical Science (OPPS) curriculum. I wish him the best of luck for this is his first time teaching chemistry! He has lots of ideas for the students to be very hands on this semester. This is Mr. Noschese blog.

This is the comment I left for Mr. Frank Noschese

Hello Mr. Noschese,
I, like Erica, am also a student at the University of South Alabama majoring in education also in EDM310. I find it strange that your school does not have a mandatory curriculum for chemistry. I glanced at the topics you are planning on teaching from the OPPS curriculum and it looks like your students will enjoy learning about them. Atoms is a very cool topic to study and it’s amazing that you only have 11 students in your class. It’s a lot easier for students to learn material with a small class rather than having an average of 30 like I did in my high school. Science is such an interesting subject to learn if you have a teacher who presents the information in a fun way. It seems to me like you are doing just that! I like how you will be doing a lot of hands on projects, it makes understanding science so much easier. Good luck to you and your students! I look forward to read how this semester went for you!

  • Mr. Noschese newest post expresses his thoughts challenging Silicon Valley's formal reasoning skills. Analytical thinking that cannot be cultivated by pausing and rewinding video or playing Math Blasters. He addresses the transitions from concrete to formal reasoning. He also states that interactive engagement courses outperformed traditional courses in learning. He explains Karplus learning cycle and the stages; Exploration, Invention, and Application, to further develop students reasoning skills. This post was extremely detailed and he provided all the links where he received his information.
My response:

Mr. Noschese,
I’m a student at the University of South Alabama inspired to become an elementary teacher. I enjoyed reading your post and it made me think a lot about the way I will teach in my class. I am not completely tech savvy but I do find that technology increases my learning. I’m a full time student with a part time job, I have an extremely busy schedule and half of my classes are online. I strongly dislike the online classes because I feel like I am not learning anything just simply doing busy work. I understand topics better when I am around people and can have conversations. I agree that some online programs give students the freedom to create and figure out topics themselves, but not every subject should be taught from a computer. When students are creating projects and they have to find all the information themselves that’s when they learn the most. By creating fun projects and games it makes learning enjoyable. Traditional learning can be extremely boring sometimes. It’s hard to focus when your constantly listing to a teacher talk about something you can care less about. By interacting, we engage ourselves in the subject and want to know more. I know from experience that finding my own information to create a project, furthers my knowledge about the topic. Since K5 I have always received instructions for homework and questions to study for the test, constantly receiving instructions. I have mixed feelings about this technology teaching. I know that when we find the best way to incorporate technology into the classroom students will be more engaged.Thank you for posting this topic, it has made me think a lot about the use of technology in a class.
Emily Nadeau

Interactive

No comments:

Post a Comment