Monday, March 5, 2012

Post #7

Students distractedAfter watching The Networked Student I strongly disagree with their idea of the role of the teacher. Students today are using technology as a tool for learning and social networking. We are being taught now as future educators we will only be helping students find sources on the internet for them to educate themselves. I want to become a teacher to teach students, to encourage them to learn and fulfill their dreams. I do not want to walk around the room and tell them what site to go to learn math, science, history, and english. The internet gives us full access to everything we want to know. We can watch videos online so we can further our understanding how things work or other instructions. I love having all the answers I need with just a few clicks.
Having all the answers a few clicks away could also be a problem. Will students actually learn the material or will they simply copy and paste? It really is amazing all the tools and programs that we can access to create projects to show our learning. I think incorporating technology in our teaching is fantastic. It allows students to find new sources, pictures, and create a project that they are proud of. While students create projects it really helps them understand what they are learning. When children are having fun and exciting about projects they don't realize how much they are actually learning rather than just reading a book.
As a future educator I need to be open to new ideas of teaching and communicating. I have mixed feelings about how technology is the center focus. I myself love the computer and find new sites that are great for teaching and learning. I don't want to become a teacher to simply guide the internet. Teachers put thousands of hours making lessons plans and coming up with new ideas to teach. While having all the subjects online I think this will cut down on the planning. I want to always be hands on with my students. Having the computer makes it easier for visual learners like myself to understand. It is hard to understand what I will actually be doing in the future but I know that I want to help children learn and inspire others no matter how high the ropes are.

After watching A 7th Grader's PLN it really made me think about how strong technology really is. It amazed me how you can organize links and i noticed on hers that anything associated with school was on the bottom. I loved how she created a biology report using technology. With every subject especially science we can find so many videos, post, pictures, and games that help us further our knowledge. I do like technology and everything it has to offer, but again I don't think that we should fully rely on it. I really did enjoy watching this video a lot.PLE

3 comments:

  1. Emily,

    Your post is very well written. I agree with your statement that we have to be open to new ideas of teaching and communicating. I think that we have to find a way to integrate technology in the classroom, but not to a degree where everything single lesson is on a computer. There has to be some sort of physical "hands-on" learning in the classroom. I too find myself to be a visual learner.

    I enjoyed reading your post. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Emily,

    I completely agree with what you said about how we are being taught as future educators to just help the students find sources on the internet and how to use online resources. I do believe that students should be familiar with the internet and all of the resources that can be used there, but I also think that there should be some of the "old-school" type learning in the classroom. Some students may learn something better with a hands-on environment rather than the internet or the use of the SmartBoard even. I find myself to be a "hands-on" visual learner. I enjoyed reading your post and I am glad to find someone who has the same view as me on these things.

    Best wishes,
    Sara Cardwell

    ReplyDelete
  3. "We are being taught now as future educators we will only be helping students find sources on the internet for them to educate themselves." Really? I disagree. Teachers also have to create the environment in which learning takes place. That is a challenge a lot of teachers never think about. They just want to follow the plans of others. That often does not work!

    And what do you mean by "...I want to become a teacher to teach students..." Deliver facts to a split open head so those facts can be burped back?

    It seems to me that you take all sides of the issue of what teaching should be like in the future. "Old-fashioned" and "networked."



    "Will students actually learn the material or will they simply copy and paste?" What are the outcomes you desire for student? Burp-back encourages copy and paste. Projects encourage real learning.

    ReplyDelete